Advertising is the paid form of promoting a product or services to a high consumer base using different types of media or communication channels.
Following are the objectives of advertisement.
- To attract attention of a potential consumer and create awareness about the product
- To stimulate interest among the consumers to maintain the demand of products high
- To create a desire to experience new and innovative product
- To reach maximum number of consumers in a short period of time
Methods to achieve objective include.
- Films and Television commercials
- Radio broadcasting
- Internet or Emails
- Through SMS (Mobile advertising)
- Advertising through print media like newspapers, magazines etc.
- Billboards at the roadside or crowded places
- Stalls in different trade fairs
Types of advertising
- Covert Advertising – Product embedded in entertainment and media. Example: Promotion of brands in different movies by Film actors
- Surrogate Advertising – Distorting the product qualities and advertising it. Example: Selling of Alcoholic beverage brand in the name of Soda or Music CDs
- Spare Part Advertising – This type of advertisement involves only the part of an entity for which the product is made. Example: In a wrist watch advertisement, only the hand of the person is shown.
- Celebrity Branding – Making use of celebrities’ fame, power and popularity to advertise a product.